DISCLAIMER: This post is not meant as a judgement in any way and I hope that no one takes offense. This is simply a record of my experiences.
This past Valentines Day, I went with the studio to the annual Salt Lake Symphony Fundraiser- the Vienna Ball.
My testimony was strengthened.
I wasn't expecting much to be honest out of the evening. As a matter of fact, I wasn't looking forward to it this year. We'd been getting our clients ready for the ball and had been teaching them all Viennese Waltz for 2 months. To say I was V. Waltzed out was an understatement. Not to mention that two months of V.W. had done a number on my already strained neck. Slowly, as I started getting ready for the evening- and having my hair done, I began to get excited. It was like prom all over again. Only better and with less drama and nerves.
When I came downstairs, Kevin made the comment that my black shrug didn't quite go with the dress and looked kind of off. I told him since the dress was a spaghetti strap- it was either wear the shrug or take off my garments which wasn't an option. His response: You look great!
Now for the back story. There had been a debate for one of our students as to whether or not to wear a dress that was "garment friendly". She was getting a lot of flack and pursuasion from several people that her dress didn't need to be garment friendly. We tried to explain to her new convert boyfriend that we are instructed to only take off our garments for appropriate activities. Which I interpret to mean sporting events or where the garment would be disrespected by becoming severely dirty.
For those of you who aren't LDS and don't know what I'm talking about- garments are symbolic pieces of clothing that members of my church wear after they have gone to our temple. We promise to wear them day and night as a reminder and promise to keep the covenants we make in the temple. Much like a nun or priest wear their religious clothing- we wear the garments under our clothing. If you have more questions I'd be happy to talk to you or you can check out www.lds.org .
Now back to the Ball. I greeted the students as they came in. One by one I saw the women who I knew had been through the temple and should be wearing their garments come in wearing dresses that were not garment friendly. As time went on, and we sat down for dinner, I became more and more self conscious. Hearing Kevin's first words in my head, "The black and the purple dont' go together. It looks a little off." I expressed my discomfort to a friend and she encouraged me that I looked beautiful.
I kept feeling down and somewhat embarrassed. Satan was really doing a number on my brain trying to make me feel uncomfortable. I thought, I'm the only one who didn't take off my garments and had to Jerry Rig my outfit.
"And you're the only one who kept your covenants."
I immediately got over myself and my little pity party and recognized that because of my diligence in keeping my covenants, I will be blessed for it.



3 additional ramblings:
What a great testimony! I thought the black and purple looked great together! Sometimes you can't listen to a guy for fashion advice.
I'm so glad you had such a good experience! I've wondered what you do about dancing and your garments, it's got to be hard, you're awesome!
I think you look gorgeous and the black and purple look good!!!
I think that you look fabulous! Before I started reading I was looking at the pictures and was thinking how gorgeous you looked. I do think that you will be blessed for your decision, even if it is to just be stronger to fight off all the evil that is around us. You are beautiful!! I'm jealous you get to get all dolled up... I miss it. But then I don't have my body from HS either like you! Hot Momma!!
Post a Comment