So, I am seriously thinking about putting Thomas into his toddler bed we have downstairs.
Is 2 years old too early to do it?
I need advice from all the moms and dads out there who have had the fun experience of keeping their child in a bed.
Did any of your kids freak out from lack of security or was it just that they thought they had freedom and didn't stay in the bed?
I have no clue what I'm in for. Help!



12 additional ramblings:
I put Katie in hers at two, the first night I checked on her and she had all her books in bed with her but she was asleep. That was about all that happened and only on the first night. She never cried she never got up and only fell out of bed twice, both five months later. She loves it! Intact it made her excited to go to bed.
I put all three of my kids in a toddler bed at 15 months. It seemed like the younger they were, the less likely they were to get out. Ryker did tear apart his room the first week or so, but the excitment ended and now he just goes to bed. He loves his bed!
Kira went to a toddler bed after two, around about the time my sil needed her crib back. But she was very excited to have it because she got to go to a "big girl bed". We did have a bit of a problem with her trying to come to bed with us for a little while, but that was a bad habit we had from the beginning. Once broken, it was all good. Other than that she liked to pile toys at her feet that we had to clear off every once in a while so she had room to straighten out her legs (still a problem) but no other issues. It's a good move!
ellie was in a toddler bed at 16 months and jonas at 18 months. i agree with the lacy's!
my only requirement for my children was that they were sleeping through the night regularly. if thomas does then i say go for it!
You can totally do it!!! We got Dillon a bed that he was totally crazy about (it was a race car :) ) He couldn't wait to sleep in it! Kenzie loved hers too but we didn't even need to buy a cool bed - she just wanted to be like Dillon :)
al of my kids were in twin beds by an early age! They all did well! Good luck with it! He will do well
Zack and Austin were in beds right about the time they turned 2. We've had our moments, but I think it's mostly because they have each other to play with.
My neighbor's 2 year old has her own big girl bed. She knows as soon as the door is shut, she cannot get out of bed, if she does, its a spanking. They said it was about a week, but she doesn't want a spanking so she doesnt get out of bed. I can't believe how good she is about staying in there. They never have to discipline her for it now.There's my thought :) haha .
Jack started climbing out of his crib at 11 months, so we got him in a big bog twin bed at that time. It was safer for him. He usually climbs into our bed half way through the night, but overall loves his bed and always hated the crib. Getting him into a big boy bed actually made him want to stay in his room more.
The earliest I moved a child was Emma at 18 months because Sean was on the way, and I didn't want her to feel replaced by the baby. My kids have all done great with moving to a bigger bed with more freedom. One thing I do is keep a security gate handy. I give them three warnings to get back into bed/room if they come out, and then I put the gate over the door so they can't come out of their room. Just knowing it was there freaked Sean out, and he quickly learned to stay in his room. Jack is 2 now, and I NEED to move him... but that is giving up just one more baby thing I'll never get back!
I'm no expert, but Jared started into his toddler bed when he was about 14 months old. We took a blanket, rolled it up into a tube, wrapped a matching sheet around it, and then attached it to the bed on either end. It looks like a big smile on the bed but he loves it. In addition to keeping him in bed as a bumper, he uses it as a prop for his legs, a pillow and most importantly a hiding place for little toys.
We've put all our kids in their "Big kid bed" at 2. With both of them we put a child's gate up so that they don't come out of the room. Then if they keep getting out of bed you just have to do the "nanny" on them and keep putting them back to bed. I'm sure you are probably already working on this, so I hope that this will help you out. I think every kid handles it differently, but I don't think that 2 is too young. Good Luck!!
Post a Comment