Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Overhaulin!

I know it's been forever since an update.
Here's the reason why:
So after having made the decision to switch Thomas from his crib to his toddler bed, I decided that if I was going to have an empty room, I may as well paint it.
Once I get an idea in my head, I can't let it go.
It was a minty green color which was fine for a nursery when we moved in.
Well, Not so good as Thomas was growing up. Plus nothing looked quite right in that color.
I pitched the idea to Kevin on a Thursday and told him that I wanted to do it the next day and that I would spear head it myself.


My MIL watched Thomas while I had my FIL give me some pointers and helped me to get started. We rolled on the "aged parchment" and called it good for the morning. Mom and Dad went home, and I tackled the "bermudan blue" wall myself that evening. Thomas slept with us the next couple of nights until the smell was gone.
Kevin saw it and was amazed at how great it looked.
Well, then I needed to decorate- right?
Thomas is big into dinosaurs and rockets right now.
I found some dinosaur magnets my mom had made for Thomas that wouldn't fit on the fridge, and bought a magnet board, painted it and hung it up. Adorable!

Thomas loves playing with his dinos.And because who knows how long he will be into dinosaurs, the wall art is the peel off vinyl kind. Love it!
And the sign my mom made out of her "Zug Bugs" fits in perfectly with the color scheme!

The biggest pain in the bum by far was this book shelf.
I had heard on a design DIY show that you can paint laminate as long as you primer it first.
So I bought a cheap-o book shelf at ShopKo and primered it, painted it and put it together.
Yeah- the paint peels off.
I bought cheap-o because it's for a kid- one that will beat it up over the years.
I guess I've learned my lesson and will have to do touch ups on this bookshelf until I get sick of it or sand it all down past the laminate and redo the whole thing.
I'll wait at least a year before I go for that option.
Ooh- and don't forget the shelves! They needed a new coat of paint too!
I put all the toys back and set up the toddler bed.

We took the doors off the closet a while ago. Thomas liked to crawl in there and push the doors out and they were about to break. So away they went, and instant square footage for toy boxes!
Thomas loves his new room and so do we.
He is doing really great with the bed. He snuck out a few times. But thanks to the replies on the last blog entry- We decided to go with the baby gate in the doorway as the safety net.
He loves his new bed and loves to go to sleep in it.
Hooray!

3 additional ramblings:

Adrianne said...

very cute room! Lovin it! Great job!

Amy said...

That is the cutest color combination, huge step from the mint green--definitely not a baby room anymore! Love it!!

bigtallhorses said...

so cute! come over to my house next! You are seriously the woman mandy, come on. What can't you do is the question! Love you! it was fun chatting with you at the halloween party and you looked so hot!