The gal who was teaching Relief Society today had called earlier in the week and asked me to give a portion of the lesson on balancing life as a new mom. Things have been upside down for me as you should know from reading my blog. So, when she told me what she was asking for, I almost laughed in her face. But, because she is a friend, I agreed to help her out.
Here is the run down of my talk: (Please forgive any redundancy. The lesson was for people who don't read my blog.)
I’m going to be honest with you here. In this balancing act called life, gravity is kicking my butt.
I’d like to meet the woman who says that she has a perfectly balanced life. Hopefully she’d be willing to share her secrets with me- Her secrets or the pills she’s on.
Being a new mom is hard. You know going into it, that it will be very hard. In the beginning, “very hard” only covers the difficulty level of getting out of bed to go to the bathroom when you get home from the hospital. People try to warn you, and you listen. But nothing can really prepare you for the roller coaster ride you’re about to go on.
I am blessed with a wonderful son. He is a good boy- the best I could ask for. I know that Heavenly Father sent me a mellow child so I wouldn’t kill him. Even with a great kid who really is as low maintenance as they come, I find myself pulling out my hair. I don’t believe it’s because of Thomas, more that I feel like these new responsibilities are all so overwhelming and impossible to swallow.
I have battled some serious post partum depression. It has been debilitating. It has morphed into severe anxiety and panic attacks. Sometimes I can feel one coming on, but the majority of the time, they hit without any warning. It’s terrifying and embarrassing when it happens. It’s bad enough when it happens at home or in my office by myself- let alone if I’m out in public. In fact, it’s the main reason why I haven’t been to church consistently in a year. I haven’t gone much of anywhere other than work.
The majority of the anxiety comes from feeling completely overwhelmed and that I’ll never be able to accomplish everything that I think is expected of me as a wife and mother. There is so much to do and so many responsibilities that have been added to my life in the past 10 months. The resulting stress of these feelings to be adequate enough has made me physically ill and sent me to the hospital. This is not a route that I recommend to anyone. But on the plus side- the doctors have ruled out a brain tumor and ended up diagnosing my symptoms as “an extreme reaction to acute stress.”
I didn’t know how to deal with all of this, so I decided to start counseling. Now, I’m not saying that counseling is the answer for everyone. I was just at the point where I couldn’t think things through rationally. If the chores weren’t done and I didn’t spend time with Thomas and if we didn’t have a home cooked meal- I felt I was failing at being a good wife and mom. I wasn’t doing enough because there was always more to be done. Something always feels like it’s being ignored. There aren’t enough hours in the day for me to get to everything, have quality time with my husband and to take care of Thomas the way I want to. I can’t imagine what you moms with more than one kid go through. You should get automatic sainthood in my opinion.
My reaction to these overwhelming thoughts seem ridiculous when I think about all that I have going in my favor. I have more than I ever thought I would. I have a great husband, a wonderful son, a good job, beautiful home, good friends and a testimony. By all accounts I shouldn’t feel as though the world were crashing down on me. But having all of these blessings doesn’t get the shopping done, dinner on the table, or the laundry folded. Not to mention Visiting Teaching, taking dinner to the neighbors or volunteering at the elementary school.
One counselor suggested this to put things in perspective: You decide what’s good enough.
I’m still trying to digest this concept and integrate it into my life. It’s easier said than done. However, the theory of this is liberating. When there is no longer a mold for you to fit in or a mark for you to hit- you can be yourself and be happy. Your “good enough” isn’t the same as someone else’s “good enough”. It doesn’t have to be. If you’ve done all you feel you can do for the day- then you’ve met your requirements. If doing one more thing is going to throw you over the edge into hysterical sobbing or a fit of rage then you can assume that you’ve hit your quota. You might even consider bringing your level for “good enough” down a couple of notches. I try to remember that I don’t have to be Martha Stewart and I don’t have to make my own bread. Who am I trying to impress anyway?
When I find myself getting upset at Thomas because I have to stop folding laundry to head him off from the stairs, I try to take a second to decide what is more important: The laundry or my kid falling down the stairs? One step further is that I wouldn’t have anything to be upset about if I wasn’t folding laundry in the first place. So I suggest that we should all make our husbands fold the laundry from now on.
I’m a big fan of lists. But when I tackle a list- I don’t do it in any particular order. I might start with the items on the bottom or in the middle of the list. Mostly I jump around. It helps to make me feel as though the list is less demanding. At least I know that the items will all get their proper attention- it will just be on my time and my terms. If you’re not in the mood to vacuum the floor, do the dishes instead. Life can’t be ignored, but you can choose which tasks are tackled first. We do have some control over our lives even when it seems to be smothering us.
Having a balanced life doesn’t mean everything is perfect. This is a journey that we continue every day. A balanced life in my opinion is recognizing the things that are important and necessary and doing our best to focus our efforts on fulfilling those things one step at a time.
Sunday, September 7, 2008
A Balanced Life
Rambled by Mandy at Sunday, September 07, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



11 additional ramblings:
Mandy, i'm so glad you shared all of that. i feel like i'm getting reacquainted with you through your blog!
it's so true what you say, about you deciding what's good enough.
i think, well i know, that every mother experiences the feelings you've shared, although each on different levels. i only say that to offer comfort, not to mimimize your individual situation at all.
i struggled after ellie with post partum depression. well, that's what they called it. however, i was not depressed, not even a little. i was overwhelmed. i'd set my expectations on an unreachable shelf, and felt that i was constantly falling short of becoming a superwoman, and supermom. and you're right, knowing your problems and understanding them doesn't make them go away, the bills don't start paying themselves. but knowing and understanding is a place to start and can open a door into getting through them. i do know from experience that the only way out is through, and by coming through, you'll be given strength to start paying those bills. you know? forgive me if i'm saying things i shouldn't or that may seem too personal. i just admire your honesty and strength. always have.
making the decision of what is good enough is hard. for me, i decided that being a mom was good enough. i decided that life will go on as life does. i have no control over that. the bills will come and go every month and somehow everything that needs to be done will be done, when it does. and that i HAD to stop worrying and stressing over those types of things. i decided to turn my worry and stress to one source. my children. i turned my complete focus and attention to them and their every need and just went through the motions of everything else. and that gave me a new perspective on my life.
wow. not sure if i left this comment for you or for me. ha!
anyway! i love ya!
What a good post! You & I could have sooo much to talk about. I had really bad post partum depression after I had Jaden & I thought that I might need to be taken to the looney bin, never to return. But, as all things do, it passes, life moves forward somehow & it made me stronger. (Although I am STILL on pills to help me through, maybe that's how it passed:) I liked your thought's on priorities as well, the laundry vs. your wee one falling down the stairs, in the moment it feels like "Can't I just get one thing done without you needing something else from me?" But obviously they need us more than our laundry needs us. Anywhoo, I just appreciated all of your thoughts & P.S. I am totaly down with the whole cousin sleepover bit!!!
Okay, sorry Mandy, that last comment was me Laura, but it got put as my brother in law Jesse cause we share the same computer & I didn't realize that he was logged into his blogger account & so it looked as if he had commented. Anywhoo, long explination short, "JESS" was actually ME!
I am so blessed to have such wonderful friends! Thank you for your insights and well wishes. I know it will get better eventually. It's just a matter of taking one step at a time, one minute at a time. That is if I can remember to breathe in between it all! HA!
Hey Mandy! My e-mail is
mjoh090@earthlink.net
That sounds like it was a really great lesson. I think all women need that lesson like every day! It is so easy to get overwhelmed, but like you said, prioritizing really helps. I just always think how fast my kids are growing, and soon they won't be little, but there will always be those same dishes to clean, and the laundry that needs to be done, and the floors to vacuum. I just try to do a little every day - and some days it is very little. I think Carl wonders what I do all day. Anyways. It's just nice to talk about this sort of thing with someone, so thanks for letting me share my two cents. Is Thomas starting to walk at all? Ainsley stands herself up to everything, and stands by herself for a second or two, but you can tell she knows there's more than just crawling - bummer!
I'm so bummed I missed you speaking yesterday! I think you are amazing and so much stronger than you give yourself credit for! If you ever want to feel good about yourself just come over and see my house or yard or the fact that my family rarely gets a home baked meal. I'm glad that counseling is helping, I've been thinking of you!
I'm so glad that you posted this since I wasn't in RS yesterday! This has such good advice and I kept thinking how similar I feel, so overwhelmed and frustrated that I just can't do everything I feel like I really should do, just for myself and my family, plus the feeling that I should be serving outside my family as well. I really liked Elder Oaks talk "Good, Better, Best" to help me think about priorities and the fact that I can't possibly do everything I think I need to do. It is nice to know that there are a lot of other moms who feel the same. There is just too much expected of us I guess.
You are a wonderful wife, mother and friend. You have a cure family too who loves you and takes real good care of you!! I feel WAY overwhelmed ALL THE TIME. Just come to my house with all my kids!! I just have to remember to step back and think to myself they are just this age once so just have fun with them and treat them with respect and love them. They will soon grow up and move away from you. I need to be more relaxed and more carefree and not worry about my house being clean all the time. It's okay!! Jennifer said you did a Fantastic job and I am sorry that I had to miss you speak. I was in Nursery for Diana. I am glad that Counseling is helping. I know that it helped Tony and I and I hope that I can be more calm and not yell at my kids so much and just let them be kids and have fun!!
Thanks for al that you do!
we love ya
Yeah, Mandy. You don't so much know me (I'm an old friend of Kevin's) but I just want to tell you how much I appreciate your willingness to open up and talk about things that a LOT of us are dealing with. I especially liked what your counselor said (and I am ALL about counselors)about ME deciding what good enough is. Making my OWN list of priorities for what makes a good mom and what doesn't. And you know, I think my list would probably change as time went by - and I hope it would, based on my needs and the needs of my kids, NOT based on what everyone else around me is doing.
You've given me some food for thought. Thanks.
Mandy you are amazing, A-Mazing. Such an awesome outlook and I 2nd the vote for husbands doing the laundry and I don't even have a baby yet! You have an amazing perspective on things. I love you!
Post a Comment