At the beginning of this year, Kevin told me that he felt really strongly that we needed to get our food storage up to par. It's been a lot of hard work, and a lot of money- but we now feel happy with where our food storage is and know we will be blessed for following the Prophet's counsel.
Now what? How on Earth do I use it? My Mother in Law bought all of us daughters a wonderful book. It's I Can't Believe It's Food Storage by Crystal Godfrey. You can also check out her website here. It's a step by step guide how to use your food storage. Powdered milk, powdered eggs, wheat, dried beans, dried fruits and vegetables not to mention how to build your three month and one year supply. It's been great!
In one month, I have used half of a # 10 can of hard red wheat! Couldn't believe it. And guess what? My family likes it!!!
It wasn't just Crystal's book that jump started me. I went with my Mother in Law to a Stake activity where they had Cary Ruggles come and demonstrate how to use wheat. His approach isn't grinding the wheat and using flour- rather, using the wheat kernel. His booklet is called Discover Wheat and Other Grains.
I totally had a Ratatouille moment. You know where the food critic takes a bite of the Ratatouille and he is transported back to his childhood. Yeah- that was me. Samples of a creamy wheat berry porridge was being passed around. I thought, this looks familiar. I took a bite, and all of the sudden I was sitting at the kitchen table in Meadow, Utah with my Step Mom, Connie eating this porridge. It was delishious!
I have since been going nuts with my recipe books. I have added wheat berries to my taco soup, meatloaf, two types of cookies, peach crisp and ham fried rice. Not to mention the morning cereal with honey and almond extract. Yum!
I wanted to share this one recipe with you because it rocks! It's from I Can't Believe It's Food Storage.
First of all, to cook the wheat berries:
1 c. wheat
2 c. water
dash of salt
I measure my wheat into a pyrex cup then fill it up with water. I stir it around and the foreign bits like pieces of the wheat stalk will float to the top. Get rid of those and rinse the wheat.
Put wheat and new water and salt into a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for an hour. Drain and cool. Store in the fridge.
Gourmet Banana Nut Cookies
These cookies are moist like a pumpkin cookie.
2/3 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. white sugar
2/3 c. shortening
2 eggs (2 T. dry powdered eggs + 1/4 c. water)
1 t. vanilla
Beat well together
1 c. mashed bananas plus 1/4 c. water
3/4 c. wheat berries
Blended in blender for 4-5 minutes
2 c. flour
2 t. baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 t. baking soda
Mixed in separate bowl
Alternate adding banana mixture and flour mixture into sugar mixture until well incorporated.
Add 3/4 c. chocolate chips and walnuts if desired.
Refrigerate for one to two hours.
Drop by rounded teaspoons onto lightly greased baking sheets.
Bake at 350 for about 10-12 minutes.
Cool on rack. Makes 4-5 dozen cookies.
A plain white or a cream cheese frosting is great on these!
Let me know if you try these cookies or if you use your food storage in any other way! I am dying to know how others utilize their food storage.
Much love!
Tuesday, October 12, 2010
You mean I can eat my food storage?!?!
Rambled by Mandy at Tuesday, October 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 additional ramblings:
not knowing what to do with food storage eats at me...
it really does.
Post a Comment