Last weekend we went on the ward camp out/ Dutch oven cook off. Kevin knew the only way to get me to go was to borrow Mom & Dad's motor home. Thomas loved being in it. He would sit in the driver's seat while we loaded up and he would turn the steering wheel while yelling, "DRIVING!" Oh boy. Should I be worried?
We went up to Pine View Reservoir. Now being a non outside adventurer, I had no clue that Pine View was a RESERVOIR! I know- I am sheltered. So everyone brought boats and swim suits, etc. And we brought socks, shoes, long pants and NO SWIM SUITS. Yeah. That really didn't do anything for my bad mood. (Not a camper, and did not want to be there.)
We borrowed a swim diaper from a friend and Kevin took Thomas down to the water. He loved splashing around on the beach. Pretty soon, Kevin had to go get started on his Dutch Oven entry for dinner. I was on Thomas duty which wouldn't have been bad, if he hadn't wanted to go into everyone's tents and not listen to me. Yet another blow to the bad mood. (I promise this post has a happy ending, just let me vent here.)
Then it was time to eat. Yeah- did I mention that I don't like Dutch Oven food? At all? To me, Dutch Oven food tastes like dirt, metal and ash. Could it be because it is cooked in dirt, metal and ash?!?! Granted, Kevin's dish tasted the best to me. Though, I still got a stomach ache from it.
After dinner, I was trying to be in a better mood and socialize and have a better attitude towards Thomas being inquisitive. I got a nice cup of ice water, (I was parched.) and started to drink it. Got out some bubbles to blow with Thomas. When I had my back turned, he dipped the bubble wand into my drink. I turned back in time to see him do it. "Aww man!" I laughed inside at the turn of events, ready to brush it off and tickle Thomas. Kevin had to choose this moment to make a smart ass comment. "Great. Now the whole night is ruined!" he said. Yeah- not the right thing to say. I glared at him, threw my water out on a bush and went back to the motor home without a word. I stayed there the rest of the night. I went to bed at 8:30. Looking back, I should have thrown the ice water on him. I've lost track at this point how many strikes to the bad mood this was. (Remember though, on this one I was making an effort.)
In the morning, we had breakfast and went for a walk down to the beach. Everyone was out boating or playing in the sand. The three of us sat up on a little cliff looking out at the lake. It was nice and peaceful. Kevin took Thomas down to the beach to play. I stayed to sit and observe and ponder. I thought about my bad mood, how upset I had been the night before, why Kevin hadn't told me that Pine View was a Reservoir, the bad food, Thomas kicking me in the night, the dirt, and GAH! Why did I even agree to coming to this thing anyway?!?! I stewed and stewed as I watched the kids play in the sand. Mandy, you're the only one here not having a good time. What are you going to do about it? You are making your husband unhappy and you are missing your son's first trip to the beach. I cried and felt bad and decided I needed an attitude adjustment RIGHT NOW.
It was at that moment, that a dear sister in the ward came over and sat by me. She was worried about me sitting all by myself looking so melancholy on the cliff face. We talked about anything and everything. Life, marriage, kids, the gospel, predjudices, hypocrites, acceptance, death, sisterhood, you name it, we talked about it. It was a precious hour or so that I will always remember. Thank you Karen. I went to find my family with a new resolve to be better.
I cried when I found Kevin and apologized for the crappy attitude I had going on. We hugged and got over it. Thomas was playing in the sand with a shovel and pail. Adorable. Kevin told me that a neighbor wanted to take our family out on a boat ride. I was hesitant because I am terrified of being submerged in water, and therefore avoid any situation where it could be a remote possibility. But because I was going to be a happy participant, I agreed. Thomas was not happy about having to put on a life jacket that was wet. Oh well, he got over it once the boat started moving and he saw the kids tubing on the back. He thought it was great fun. I stopped thinking about myself and enjoyed watching Thomas experience something new.
I must say that Saturday was much better than Friday. And the smile on that kid's face was worth it. Though, I may skip out on next year's festivities.
Monday, August 10, 2009
Ward Camp Out
Rambled by Mandy at Monday, August 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 additional ramblings:
oh no you won't! I will make you come ans bring swim suites and you and I will be out on the tube in the water being pulled from a boat!! I am so glad that you guys came, but i was sad that you weren't in the greatest mood! I am sorry! have fun and i will talk with you later!
Post a Comment