Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Nevada Star Ball

WARNING: This is a long post. It is filled with lots of pictures and I promise I tried not to go into the mundane details of the entire 5 days. So, go get a drink and put up your feet kids, cause this may take a while. If you're not the type for reading long passages, just scroll down and check out the pics.
-Mandy


Well- I got back this past Monday from our first studio competition. It was a crazy busy few weeks before that getting everything ready for it. (Thanks Hon for being patient and understanding with me. )

The caravan left on Thursday morning to begin our 5 day adventure in Las Vegas. After fighting off a migraine and nausea in the car on the way, we got to the Green Valley Resort and Casino, settled in, and headed over to the Venetian for our only stop on the strip the whole time. (Martin needed a new crystal for his watch.) We had a great dinner and had fun walking around. We didn't stay out long, as we needed to be up early in the morning. The Bronze level Pro/Am competition started at 8:30.

I got myself ready, and then tackled Christine's hair and make-up. She was my roomie for the trip, and can I say I can't think of anyone I'd rather have bunked with. I must say that I am thrilled with the results of my work. What do you think?


She bough some professional photos that had been taken of her on the dance floor. When she went to get them, she had showered and washed out all the goop and make up and looked like her regular 56 year old self. The photographer couldn't believe the transformation I was able to make. I should totally offer my services for a hefty fee at all the comps.

We started with Smooth dancing on Friday. Glade did really well, and danced with joy. On a few dances I had to remind him to smile... he was concentrating on his steps.



I wasn't sure what to expect when it was time for awards. We banked on a few firsts simply because we were the only people who entered. HA! But we were happily surprised when we received more firsts than our solo entries! I felt badly though, that all the students got was a sticker that said, 1st, 2nd or 3rd place. They got a little booklet to put them all in. All that hard work and money to get a sticker. Huh. Oh well. We all got a good laugh out of it.

Here's Glade getting some stickers from Ron Montez as I look on proudly.



Side note- I was so stressed about my dress before we left. We bought it in Park City and had a gal in my ward hem it and put sleeves on. I was running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. I was near the breaking point when we had a photo shoot the week before the comp. Chelsea (another instructor) had a tub of latin costumes that her mom had made for her and had stoned amazingly. I started to cry because of the stress, and knowing that I wouldn't have time to do anything that would make my dress stand out and be as beautiful as I thought it should be after all of Glade's hard work. She saw how freaked out I was and called her mom in IDAHO and asked her if she would come down and stone my gown. Can you believe that?!?! She said yes and was itching to come visit her daughter anyway. She drove down with her husband and stoned my dress in 2 days. So grateful. She is amazing. I told her I liked paisley- and she went to town with the stones that I had. Isn't it beautiful!

I think all in all everyone who competed Smooth that day was happy.



We went out Country Dancing that night at Stoney's. It was awesome! A little too many line dances for my taste. And when I went to the bar to get a bottle of water, I got hit on. I tried to take the focus off of me and turn it to why our group was here. When he didn't get the hint, I flashed the wedding ring. Worked like a charm. LOL!

Saturday was a total veg day. Took a nap, went to the spa, sat by the pool, then went to the competition to watch the dancing that night. I was really stressed because I knew that the morning was going to be crazy trying to get all the girls ready plus myself and be on the floor at 7:30. Yeah- whoever made up that schedule should have been shot. I even brought it up the next morning at breakfast with Susan Puttock, the competition organizer. She laughed and said she knew what I was talking about. I'm not sure she knew I was being dead serious.

The good dancing I wanted to see wasn't going to start until after I went to bed. I was hacked. And a headache was starting...again. I left the comp early and crashed.

4:45 came WAY too early in my books. At least we had the time difference in our favor. I got up, got me ready and then the rest of the crew showed up. It was craziness in our room. Someone was taking pictures with my camera, but the setting was wrong, so they turned out SO blurry.



C'est la vie. I got everyone done and we all headed down to the ballroom without much fanfare. We dumped our stuff at our table and prepared for a long day of dancing. There were less nerves for me and more smiles from Glade. However his concentration on smiling reflected in his wobbly dance frame...



There was a wardrobe malfunction for one of the girls- nothing indecent, but rather embarrassing. We had pinned a strapless bra to the back of a halter dress I had let her borrow so it wouldn't show. But the dress was pulling down the bra, so it looked like she had 4 boobs. Inbetween dances, she ran over to me and I frantically undid the bra and some of the pins to get it off her. Well she was dancing RIGHT AFTER the first dance, and there was no time, and I missed a pin. So the bra is hanging down in the dress at her waist and she is dancing with Martin who in a stroke of genius changed his arm styling to cover up her waist with his arms thus "concealing" the quadraboob situation. She is dying of laughter while dancing the rumba. She runs off the floor as soon as the song is over and sits on my lap. I had a hard time trying to find the last of the safety pins through my tears. We got some good pictures. When I get them, I will do an update post. I believe this pic is pre-quadraboob.

The next eventful moment was when Glade and I had a long break inbetween our sets of dances and our last dance. So, we are sitting on the edge of the floor at our table talking with everyone when Glade hears the emcee call his number wondering where he was. I had a robe on over my costume and could not get the tie undone. He throws his glasses towards the table and Christine catches them in mid-air. I nearly rip the robe off as we scrambled onto the floor and did the Paso Doble fighting our smiles. It was hilarious. A great way to end the competition for us.

The competitoin lasted until past midnight. The Professional Smooth and Latin dancing was amazing. And the fact we had front row seats made it all the better. I had an invitation to the Professional Party afterwards- but was so beat that I opted out. But I did get to talk to Boriana Deltcheva (Professional Latin Champion and winner of the night) in the elevator and check out her costume. She is a sweetheart. I also got to rub elbows with J.T.Thomas (Professional Smooth Champion and winner of the night) who is good friends with Martin. I wish I was more awake to the point where I would have enjoyed staying up for the Professional Party. I was content though to snuggle into my warm, comfy bed and zonk out after a long day.
The drive home was uneventful and I felt like I had been hit by a ton of bricks. I slept most of the way home. I was so glad to see Kevin and Thomas. Though, the headache turned into a migraine and I developed fever, aches and chills over the next few days. Oh- and did I mention the near constant stomach ache I had the whole weekend too? It was like my body was done and there was nothing I could do about it. I bounced back Thursday afternoon thankfully.
We had our studio Practice Party on Saturday. All the comp students were there and made a presentation to thank Martin and myself for the hard work we had put into the competition. They had all signed cards and gave us each a gift certificate. As Martin and I chatted later, we revealed, we were both near tears. I am so grateful to work in a great studio with wonderful people.
December 9-13 at the Luxor... Holiday Dance Classic! Here we come!

2 additional ramblings:

Amy said...

Oh My Gosh, you look AMAZING. Absolutely stunning, I would have loved to come and watch you dance. And I think the quadra-boob story is HilAriouS!!

bigtallhorses said...

You have some mad hair skills, I had no idea Mandy! Sounds like a fun Vegas weekend minus the head and stomach aches. Nice work girl, You are gorgeous!