Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Street Smarts

Along the streets I take to go to my in- law's house, there are a few churches dotting them. Episopalian, Presbyterian, Evangelical type churches. (Couldn't tell you exactly which, I unfortunately don't pay enough attention.) They all have little billboards with clever sayings to catch your attention. I always look forward to seeing these messages change. They give me many "points to ponder" on my way to and from. Not sure if it was a month or more ago one said,
"A day hemmed in prayer seldom unravels."
Not being a seamstress, I had to think about it a few seconds before I got it. I thought it was clever and wondered what the church down the block would have on their sign. I'm not especially wonderful at keeping the habit of praying both morning and night. I usually wake up to Thomas crying and going to sleep after a rush of trying to get things ready for the next day. Yes, it's an excuse. Give me a break. I have found myself this past month or so finding that saying running through my head.
"A day hemmed in prayer seldom unravels."
Things have been somewhat turbulant as of late. Stress levels are high and patience is low. One morning I woke up and Thomas wasn't up yet. The thought ran through my head, and I decided to go for it. It had been so long since I had a "prayer routine" I was skeptical about it. I took the time, knelt down and prayed. When I was done, I heard Thomas rustling about in his crib. Feeling optimistic, I started the day. It was a normal day and nothing bad happened- nothing really great either. I finished my day with a prayer too. The next day I repeated the routine. Crap happened. I grew disheartened. At the end of my day, I debated on whether or not my "experiment" was worth continuing. Again, the saying flashed through my head with an emphasis.
"A day hemmed in prayer SELDOM unravels."
It's not a guaranteed fix all. It's not taking away the choices that yourself and others make that influence the situations around you. It doesn't mean that your day isn't going to go down the toilet the second you get out of bed. Life happens! Prayer is the insurance policy you take out. It's a vitamin to take to help your body be strong enough to deal with the illnesses that will inevitably come along. I'm not perfect at this new routine, but I can tell a difference. I'm going to start "sewing".

3 additional ramblings:

Heidi said...

That's great that Kevin's biopsy results were negative. I agree that I definitely notice a difference in my attitude when I'm praying and doing those things I'm supposed to. That doesn't mean nothing bad happens, I just deal with it better. Thanks for the great thoughts!

[Morgan] said...

well said.
if only we could pray things away right? :)
thanks for sharing!

Adrianne said...

ya, I try to pray with my kids everyday and teach them! It does make a difference in your day when you do sit down with the lord and lay it all out to him, because he does understand where we are coming from and he can help us throughout our day! Your a good mom and wiffie! Keep up the great work you do with your babe and husband. You keep them in line good!