Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Saturday, December 27, 2008

I'm dreaming of a white... pukefest?

I hope that everyone's Christmas was filled with love and family and all the food one can keep in one's stomach. This Christmas has been... interesting to say the least. Let me rewind a bit to fill you in on all of the fun.

I'd been having an upset stomach over the weekend. I chalked it up to nerves for my Dance Studio's Christmas Party at which I would be performing 8 dances. (A later post will include the inside story to that night and video of the dances.) Not to mention that I sent Kevin to the Dr. on Friday to have a "growth" on his back looked at. It had been growing for 6 months at least, and I was getting so worried, I made the Dr. appointment. The Dr. said it wasn't Melanoma, but it needed to be removed ASAP and sent out for a biopsy. (We are still waiting for results and crossing our fingers.) Monday came around, and Kevin had it removed. He wasn't supposed to move a lot, and was not supposed to be picking up Thomas. He also is supposed to take some time off work since the incision was on the back of his shoulder, where his bullet proof vest would rub. No vest = no work. So, I'm all geared up to be "Super Wife/ Mom" and take care of my guys. Then at lunch, my stomach really started to hurt. I go to pick up Thomas at Mom & Dad's- it was getting worse. My stomach was churning and I wasn't sure which end it would come out. (Sorry. TMI I know.)
I got home just in time to throw up violently. It didn't stop for hours. Kevin's local anesthetic was wearing off, and Thomas was curious as to why I was kneeling on the bathroom floor. I told Kevin I could handle it and had one arm wrapped around the toilet bowl and one arm out blocking Thomas from coming too close. I was extremely grateful that night for my short haircut. I didn't have a free arm to pull it out of the way. It continued into the night. Kevin finally sent me up to bed knowing that I couldn't watch Thomas and throw up anymore at the same time. Bless his heart. I woke up at 1:00 to start the whole fiasco all over again. Kevin was coming to bed at that time and needed me to change his bandage. I thought I'd finished throwing up, so I went over to scope out the wound and change the bandage for him. I took one look at it and headed for the toilet again. Yes, the sight of it made me throw up. Again, I tried to get myself under control and was able to fix him up. I was so dehydrated. I told Kevin that I was getting light headed and thought I might pass out. He got me to the bed in time before I collapsed. I'd rather throw up than pass out for future reference...
The morning was awful. I hurt from head to toe. Achy and sore from you know: Everything. Dizziness and more passing out ensued. I stayed home from work to recover. Thomas stayed over at Mom & Dad's. That night was Kevin's family's Christmas party. We went and I layed low. I had two bites of food, and didn't want to push it any farther. Thomas hadn't been feeling well either. Diarrhea and not eating well.

Christmas Eve, I went to work and dropped of Thomas, who then threw up after breakfast. Great. I wasn't feeling tip top, but I had to go in. I had Gatorade. That's it. The thought of food was making my stomach churn again. I finished up some Christmas shopping and had a good evening with my guys. Kevin and I stayed up late putting toys together for Thomas. I had forgotten though while out shopping to pick up corn syrup for the coveted carmel popcorn I always make for everyone each Christmas. Each time I had been to the store before, they were out. Completely. Only the dark stuff left on the shelves. Kevin kindly offered to go when we were done with the toys. So at 2:00 AM, Kevin is out and about for corn syrup. I went to bed.


Christmas morning, everything was fine. We were all feeling well and Thomas loved his toys. He got a little organizer, blocks, and an activity center like you would find in the Dr.'s office.

Kevin got me the 4th season of LOST on DVD. Kevin got chocolate covered cashews, socks- at his request- and a 120 GB hard drive for his X-box. I made French Toast with the yummy bread Kevin's Aunt Marci gives to us every year. It was fun to lounge around for a while in PJ's. It turned out that Kevin's corn syrup run was in vain. Wal-Mart was out and so was Smith's. Luckily Mom had some. I would just have to create my confection at Mom's and possibly divulge my secrets. We arrived, finished the popcorn and started munching by the time Kevin's brother and family came. At 4:00 we were getting ready to head over to Grandma's house. I was holding Thomas at the table while he was drinking some juice. The next thing I know he's throwing up all over himself, me and the carpet. I picked him up and started walking through the kitchen on the way to the bathroom. Another eruption in the middle of the kitchen floor. I took him over to the kitchen sink, hopefully saving more carpet from being defiled. He threw up again! This was all in less than a minute. The poor kid. He started crying and I looked at us. We were both covered. Luckily, I'd been fairly desensitized from it over the past few days and I didn't hurl right along with him. Sweet Kristy my Darling sister in law shoved all the kids out of the way and went to work scrubbing the carpet in the living room. Poor Dad & Kevin took the splatter in the middle of the kitchen, and Mom started the bath water. I got Thomas stripped and had taken off my sweater- we headed for the tub. Thomas looked at me through his tears and said, "Tub? Tub?" He loves the tub. So, it was serving a dual purpose. Everyone headed off to Grandma's while I took care of Thomas. Kevin ran home to grab more clothes for us and to switch the Camry for the Blazer. We knew a heck of a storm was coming in. It was a good thing too for both. I dressed Thomas in the last spare outfit we had brought- which he then proceeded to poop out of- and we ended up getting about 6" of snow. Everyone came home from Grandma's and was starving. We had an impromptu spaghetti dinner. Which about an hour later, Wyatt, Sean & Kristy's son began to throw up like no tomorrow. Not sure what spurred that- maybe just over eating all the holiday goodies. We headed out into the storm to go home, praying that Thomas wouldn't throw up or have exploding diaper on the way. Our prayers were answered, and he didn't poop until we got home. Sorry no pictures for that.

The next morning, we seemed to be doing a ton better. No vomit and the diarrhea seemed to have stopped. We chilled at home until we knew that Kevin's sister had made it down safely from Idaho. The kids opened their presents and we opened ours.
Erin had made us aprons, and I squealed with delight. First because I really have been wanting an apron, and second when I read what it said: Mrs. Edward Cullen!!! SQUEE!!

Kristy's said: Mrs. Matt Harpring and Mom's said: Mrs. Sean Connery. We all we squealing and hugging them to our chests. I should have taken a picture of us all wearing them with our silly fangirl faces. It was awesome. I love you Erin! The day was going great. When it was time to pack up, I noticed a bit of a frenzy but couldn't tell where it was coming from. With 7 kids and 6 adults running around at Christmas time with presents and treats strewn about everywhere, a frenzy isn't exactly uncommon, right? Well, Kristy's daughter had started throwing up too. I KNOW! Enough already with the puke!!! We never did find out what the bug was or if it was the food or too much treats or what. It was crazy for sure. Definately some memorable moments. How was your Christmas?

6 additional ramblings:

Jacqui said...

Mandy, I'm sad to hear that everyone was so sick! We had the same strange bug over here the week before you guys--my Josh, who is just a little bit older than thomas, I think, threw up 13 times in 4 hours. And of course it happens in the middle of the night :) The kids never choose convenient times to barf. Although, I must say, my 3 year old Andrew made it to the potty to throw up when he started the next day.

I suppose there are some small things to be grateful for!

Mandy said...

Wow! That's awful for you too! 13 times is quite a lot. I hope all is well now. At least it's all over now, right?

Adrianne said...

I am glad that you guys are doing well!! that is bad!! Have a Great New Year!

Alexis said...

Yikes! What a crazy x-mas. Ours was very lay low, no runs to the toilet luckily. I really hope that you are feeling better and the rest of the family and hope that Kevin doesn't catch it and will also be able to recover quickly. I hope the results don't come back bad. (Fingers crossed)

Amy said...

Okay-- so that is the BUSIEST Christmas that I have heard about ever.... haha glad you survived! And can I say that I am 100% over-the-top JEALOUS- that you have a Mrs. Edward Cullen Apron???? JEALOUS!

Laura said...

Yikes! That does sound memorable, but not really in the way you would hope for. I'm glad that you're all better now!